Friday, March 8, 2013

Hey, Christian, Get That Pouty Look Off Your Face



“Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give a reason for the hope that you have.” 1 Peter 3:15

“Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer.” Romans 12:12

            Have you noticed all of the negative comments people are making today? It seems as if nobody has a pleasant thing to say. We gripe about anything and everything. We are unhappy about everything, and we let the world know about it.

            Recently, I posted this comment on Facebook: “Ever wonder why nothing goes right and the world is always against you? Take a look at your Facebook wall. If you consistently make personal posts that are negative, then you might be the one with the bad attitude and wrong perspective. It might be that those other people are feeding off of your sour (or sour grapes) disposition.”

            It is troubling to see all of the negative comments swirling around social media. There are times when I take breaks from social media. Sometimes I do this to spend more time with my family. Sometimes I do this because I feel I am spending too much time checking my Facebook or Twitter accounts (and I will likely take a tech break after posting this blog. You may enter your chosen emoticon here). But, sometimes I do this to escape the negative comments on those platforms. I am troubled that professing Christians often are the most negative.

            I can understand negative comments coming from someone who does not have a hope in Jesus. After all, some think that this is all there is to life, and after your last breath, you simply cease to exist. That sounds hopeless, and I can see a need for pessimism in that belief. But, the Christian is supposed to have his or her hope in Christ. He will raise you to be with Him eternally. So, if you truly believe that, why do you spew out so much pessimism and negativity?

            Christians will post beautiful wall photos or quotes that speak of the goodness of God. The photos speak of  hope and assurance found in Jesus. The quotes promise that God will lift up the brokenhearted and the downtrodden. Those are wonderful, uplifting things to share. But, when those quotes are followed by the personal sour posts, then your well-meaning and beautiful quotes prove meaningless. What you tell the world is, “Yeah, this is what I say I believe, but the truth is, I don’t really put my faith in this.” Is Jesus’ name uplifted when all people hear come from your mouth (or your posts) is despair, or finger-pointing?

            So, must be positive at all times? I don’t think so. There is a time and a platform for speaking of pain, or heartbreak, or fears. I even think that it is healthy to honestly address concerns and worries. I even appreciate a crusty old curmudgeon, or a lovable cynic. However, when our entire perspective is negative, then we need to seriously address what is going on in our lives and what we present to others. I know many people who experience great tragedy or chronic pain. Yes, they cry and wonder why. Many of these people also refuse to let that tragedy or pain rule them and define who they are. They choose to speak of the hope they have despite their present affliction.

It would be simple to say, “Fake it ‘til you make it,” meaning put a smile on your face and be positive until you don’t have to exert effort to do so. But, that is a simplistic approach. What we really need to is to look deeply into the recesses of our hearts and minds and ask tough questions. Why am I so negative? Do I honestly believe what I say I believe? If so, then why do I not trust in Jesus? Am I presenting hope or hopelessness to those around me? What is troubling me so much that I present a negative attitude? Is my witness tarnished by my negativity? These are real gut-check questions that you must consider.

            Hey, Christian, it’s time to take that pout off your face. Share the hope found in you. Be patient in affliction and joyful in hope. You are redeemed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment